Thursday, February 4, 2010

When a 4 year old goes to the office, clothing is optional

My girls love to get naked. Avi is happiest running through the house in her diaper screaming, "Naked, naked, naked!" Today, Nourit instigated the nakedness and soon both girls were down to their skivvies, Avi in an unbleached 7th Generation dipe and Nourit in some flowered undies, busily setting up an "office." The office consisted of three barstools, two diningroom chairs, and a stepstool. And of course, Nourit's laptop.

Even though Nourit mentioned a few times during the holidays she wanted a computer like Kyla's (a pink, princess-y electronic thing), we demurred. So this week, she took it upon herself to make her own - out of cardboard, and complete with a wireless mouse. She installed games and a word document all by herself. Already, she's way more tech savvy than her mama.

With Nourit at the computer and Avi in the cubicle behind her "eating clothes" according to Nourit, Nourit informed me the office was a hotel for kids to work in. Hmmm....is that legal? Soon, she was ready to go to a meeting, pipsqueak markers in hand. But first she needed me to three-hole punch her construction paper and put it into a binder. That done, she was ready for the meeting.

"Aren't you going to put on clothes for your meeting?" I asked?

"No, they don't really want us to wear clothes to meetings," was her reply.

"Where do you work?" I asked incredulously.

"I work at the university," she answered in all seriousness. "You work there too, don't you?" she continued.

I promise, I have always gone to work with my clothes on.

4 comments:

Alma said...

So cute. Hopefully blogs won't be completely obsolete by the time your girls are older because they'll love reading this story.

Joel said...

I can totally see this happening from your description! I wonder if we being there recently influenced the "meeting" idea. You didn't tell Nourit about the winter naked run by U of C undergrads through campus, did you? I always wore clothes to my job at the university!
-M

Sherwin said...

that's so creative! i love how she even drew in the little icons at the bottom of the screen. i'm sure it will turn out to be way more fun than a real laptop...

Nicki said...

Thats hysterical! The little ones in my house prefer the clothing-optional way of life too!