Monday, November 14, 2011

Pee and Poo: What Homeschooling Has Done For My Kid

I'm going to preface this post with two things. The first is that I, as Nourit's parent, do not encourage nor condone potty-talk (except for the times when it's funny. Please note also that this is all from Mike's side of the family.) The second is that this post will probably make her very angry with me in 15 years, but hopefully in 30 years, she'll forgive me. =)

We had just come from our weekly playdate with my homeschooling friends and their kids where the topic of conversation between the three moms was how to teach/encourage writing and spelling. One of my friends has taken the approach of creative spelling, allowing her daughter to sound out words and write them how she imagines, for the sake of freedom of thought. My other friend's son spends time writing 2-3 sentences per day in a journal about his adventures, or the weather - very acceptable and appropriate things. My contribution to the conversation was, "Nourit isn't really even interested in writing, and isn't so motivated to read on her own yet, despite the rich literature we explore together each day." Not a half and hour later I learned how wrong I was. My homeschooled child has just shown me she can independently (and sometimes with the help of her dear friend who shall remain nameless) sound out words and write an entire book, given the right motivation: pee and poo. Here it is, with English subtitles.

The Poo and Pee Book

I shake my butt to 'My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean'
Poop is Ice Cream - Pee is LemonadeI Dance with Poo and the Poo dance with the Pee
I Love Poo and I Love Pee
How to Go Potty

Do You Like Pee and Poo?


It's all there - creative spelling, rhythmic meter, metaphor, literary references, punctuation, chronology and anatomically correct illustrations. I think this could be a best-seller for the potty training set as well as 10 yr old boys.

No comments: