Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Taking Off the Training Wheels


We finally took Nourit's training wheels off her pink bike today. The same bike we bought her when she successfully stopped sucking her thumb. She's been asking for at least 4 months and my answer was always, "Later, when dad can take them off." If I'd known how easy it was to use a wrench, I would have done it at least 3 months ago. Of course, I chose this morning on our way out the door to someplace else, and while my husband was just getting down to work, to revise our schedule. I guess I was cashing in on our new freedom to finally say, "Yes, let's do it now, because, well, we don't have to wait for the weekend anymore." Surprisingly, my perfectionist 5 1/2 year old, who gets very uncomfortable and makes strange noises when she doesn't do some exactly right*, had fun trying to balance on her new bike. I stayed behind her with my hand on the seat, but she never got frustrated with herself. She hasn't managed to bike without the trainers yet, but at least she's still smiling!

*I've started teaching her piano and we've been sitting down together every day for about a week now. This is one of the hardest things for me to do, but also one of the most rewarding parts of having her home every day. There's sure to be a post soon about how I'm totally messing her up for any type of musical future, but for this week, our lessons end with a hug.

No comments: